This was originally recorded for the Columbia Company sometime in 1893 or early 1894, after the Company had established itself in a large building on Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington. The announcement of the record acknowledges the presence on the ground floor of the building of a large nickel-in-the-slot phonograph parlour.
What makes the record even more significant than its early date is the identity of the accompanist, styled as Professor F. Gaisberg. This is of course part of the early recording studio career of Fred Gaisberg who moved on to work with Emile Berliner at The Gramophone Company and from there travelled to Europe and is most obviously famous for being the man who recorded Caruso in Milan in 1902. He retired in 1939 but continued to work as a consultant for The Gramophone Company right up until his death in 1951.
He was seventeen when this recording was made
3 in stock