The Par Ci Par La Polka was originally composed by Emile Waldteufel, a French pianist, conductor and composer of dance and concert music, in 1883. The direct translation means Hither and Thither. He was more well known for The Skaters Waltz and The Espana Waltz. This version is recorded by the British branch of the Edison company which at the time was known as the National Phonograph Company trading throughout Great Britain. As a result, the studio military band was known as the National Military Band. As with many of the recording companies based in London at this time their in-house bands were made up from military, concert orchestra, and theatre musicians recruited from the capital city.